Repair, replace and… tint?

What is your last money multiplier? For Gilbert Quesada, owner of All Star Glass in Bosque Farms, NM, repeat customers are facilitated and channeled with window film.

“A customer will schedule a windshield replacement and see all my XPEL movies and commercials,” says Gilbert Quesada, owner of All Star Glass. “It turns into a stand-in and movie job at that point.”

Customers mix and match at All Star Glass.

All Star Glass Blend is 50% automotive tint and 50% automotive glass repair and replacement. Quesada estimates that more than half of its jobs feed off each other. “I’ll tint a few windows, and later you get a rock chip or need a glass replacement,” he says. “There are a lot of customers coming back here for tint and glass replacement.”

Quesada’s business has been in business for three years and exceeded $200,000 in sales in 2021. His crew includes his mother, father and sister. “Sometimes we get exhausted trying to replace and tint, but it has boosted our business,” adds Quesada. “It’s not just one type of income; I replace a door glass, I replace a windshield, then I tint a full [vehicle].”

Automotive glass work accounts for 75% of Earl’s AutoGlass business in Cozad, Neb., with tinting accounting for the remaining 25%.

“There aren’t a lot of tinting costs,” says Tyler Earl, installer at Earl’s AutoGlass. “You can make a quick profit by tinting windows, but if you were just window tinting, you would have to be very busy.”

Tyler plans to participate in the Automotive Tint-Off™ at the International Window Film Conference and Tint-Off™ (WFCT) 2022, September 14-16 in San Antonio. He works alongside his parents John and Beth and says the company’s offerings keep him on his toes. “You work on different vehicles every day,” says Tyler. “I’ll help my dad put on a piece of glass, tint the windows or detail a vehicle. What I do varies.

The tinting suit at Dave’s Glass & Tint in Pocatello, Idaho is 50% automotive glass and 50% flat (commercial/residential) glass. Commercial film jobs often include substantial tickets, but automotive glazing projects generate 75% of the company’s sales. The company reached an estimated revenue of $900,000 in 2021 and is expected to reach $1.2 million in 2022.

The tinted glass and automotive glass offering attracts a diverse clientele to Dave’s Glass & Tint.

Dave Cotter founded the company, which is celebrating its 30th anniversaryand anniversary in August – in 1992 and has offered auto glass and film services from day one. “We have a Toyota Camry that we applied paint protection film (PPF), tinted and replaced its windshield.”

Are you interested in learning more about the movie side of things? Click here for a free subscription to Window Film magazine, PPFMagand the Focus on Film e-newsletter.

This article comes from glassBYTEs™, the free electronic newsletter that covers the latest news from the automotive glass industry. Click HERE to register, there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in paper or digital format are available. Subscribe for free HERE.

Comments are closed.