Microsoft releases PowerToys v0.53.3 to fix PowerToys Run lag, more
A week ago, Microsoft released a big update for PowerToys, bringing it to version 0.5.3.1 with a number of new features. Today, Microsoft released a smaller update, version 0.5.3.3, which brings a number of fixes, including for slow PowerToys Run.
The full changelog reads:
- #15364 – PowerToys Run perf regression due to disabling list virtualization to improve scrolling speed on some computers
- #15305 – PowerToys Run Uri plugin had exception with wrong format.
- #15344 – PowerToys Run crashes due to duplicate key. This was due to the community-driven plugin having the same name as one of our plugins.
The latest release can now be found here with Store and Winget releases to follow soon.
In case you missed it, find the full changelog for version 0.5.3.1 below:
Things to know
- The new installer currently has a visual quirk when upgrading if you have a custom install path. It will show the default install path, but it will actually overwrite the current location. We are investigating how to resolve this issue.
Always on top
- Welcome to the family! With a quick To earn+Ctrl+J, the focused window is toggled to be on top. Switch again and it goes back to normal.
- Improvements to HEX input to adjust color menu, including support for hex code without hashtag and short hex code like #CF0.
- Better bottom right screen detection for overlay
- Increased negative space margin
- Fix for not breaking child windows
- Fix for clearing keyboard focus on editor launch
- Fix to improve overlays to reduce brightness and hide numbers.
- Added G-code support for thumbnails and preview pane.
- Fixed regression of removing metadata tags from ColorSpace.
- Line highlighting + preview support now implemented.
- Fixed AltGR input issue
- Improved folder renaming support
- Opens on the active monitor
- Web search has been added!
?? What is the answer to lifewill go to your favorite search engine through your browser. You can also change the default action key!
- VS Code workspace improvements.
- Support for binary and hexadecimal numbers.
- Ability to use factorials in calculations
- PT Run will no longer show up in Window Walker results.
- Fixed log/ln calculations
- Correction to clarify previous results
- Fix to detect symbolic links and prevent recursive loops
- Fixed trackpad scrolling too fast
- Removed unnecessary nuget package.
- Better detection to know if a packaged application can be elevated
- Improve crash resilience for program plugin.
- Improved Windows Settings results.
- Fixed a bug where some similar wake-up phrases were not working as intended.
- Disabled by default as it requires elevation to save the virtual camera.
- Changed hotkey (default) to mute camera and microphone from To earn+NOT at To earn+Change+Q to not conflict with a Windows 11 keyboard shortcut
- Several accessibility, layout, image, string and icon fixes.
- Improved mutex support to prevent running multiple PT Run instances
- REMARK: The new installer currently has a visual quirk when upgrading if you have a custom install path. It will show the default install path, but it will actually overwrite the current location. We are investigating how to resolve this issue.
- Great progress towards user-based installation vs. whole machine. The upgrade scenario still requires further work.
- Removed custom bootstrapper and now uses a WiX bundle.
- Removed unused image assets that were still being shipped.
- Defining the WinUI3 proof of concept and committing, we need at least one additional feature, elevation support from unpackaged WinUI 3 apps.
- New YAML-based pipeline for building our signed installer. This will allow us to consolidate our CI to use the same file. It was essential for us to unlock the ARM64 and .NET 6 migration.
- Our submodules will no longer be fetched automatically to avoid locking issues. If you want a refresher on how to do this, head over to our development documentation
- Location system changed from CDPx to Touchdown. This should remove many localization issues.
- Consolidation of much of the naming of EXE and DLL files as well as projects
- Spell checker update.
- /dup answer added
- /reportbug /bugreport will request a “bug report” zip.