Microsoft claims 50 games coming to Xbox in 2022 and 2023
Six months into the year, Xbox’s release schedule looks slim. Fresh on the heels of an absolutely banger 2021Microsoft hasn’t released a single first-party tentpole in 2022. But that’s all about to change, Microsoft assured viewers today during its big splashy marketing showcase about big splashy games on the horizon.
Halfway through today’s show, which offered some long-awaited gameplay reveals for highly anticipated games like star field and red fall—Xbox boss Phil Spencer showed a graphic showing 50 new games would come to Xbox over the next year. The official Xbox social media feed tweeted a slightly edited version of the graphic after the showcase ended:
There are some minor differences between the two. The graphic broadcast during the program mentions hello neighbor 2 and Light Year Frontier as planned this year. The chart posted on social media mentions neither, replacing those two games with Gotham Knights and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
The image isn’t misleading about the Xbox lineup per se, but it’s complemented by methods that are certainly… curious. To be clear, Xbox, which has over two dozen first-party studios in its portfolio, won’t be making 50 games in the next year.
For one thing, Microsoft has included extensions here, counting the likes of Forza Horizon 5it is Hot Wheels collaboration, The Elder Scrolls Onlinejourney to the kingdom of the High Isle, and Fallout 76Pittsburgh’s foray alongside full releases. On the other hand, the chart also lists several third-party games, such as Gotham Knights and The Callisto Protocol— that are developed independently of Microsoft. Of course, they are coming to Xbox. They will also be available everywhere else.
Microsoft has also included a number of free games in the list, even counting Infinite Halocomes the third season. (Infinite HaloThe second season of added some cosmetics, a handful of modes, and two maps to the shooter’s free-to-play multiplayer mode, released last November.) The version of the graphic released during the showcase also counted. sea of thieves‘ seventh season on the list.
The graph also seems to indicate STALKER 2, currently under development in Ukraine, has been further delayed. (Developer GSC Game World previously delayed the game from a version dated April 28, 2022.) Although STALKER 2 is listed under the 2023 column of today’s chart, the shooter’s current store pages indicate it is due for release on December 8, 2022. Representatives for Microsoft and developer GSC Game World did not immediately respond. to a request for comment.
One final observation: After Microsoft scooped Zenimax, Bethesda’s parent company, for $1 billion, a ton of ZeniMax’s portfolio became available on Game Pass. Activision Blizzard’s biggest games on the horizon—Diablo IV, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2and Monitor 2– are not listed as planned titles for Game Pass. (Monitor 2 will be free.) In April, Activision Blizzard shareholders voted overwhelmingly to approve The acquisition of the struggling studio by Microsoft, the size of a small European country. But the deal has yet to pass regulatory approval.
Anyway, here’s the full list of games slated for Xbox release in 2022, with Game Pass-targeting games marked in parentheses:
- Naraka: Bladepoint (game pass)
- The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle
- As dusk falls (game pass)
- Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels
- Somerville (game pass)
- A Plague Tale: Requiem (game pass)
- Valheim (game pass)
- Warhammer 40K Darktide (game pass)
- Based (game pass)
- Fallout 76: The Pitt (game pass)
- Monitor 2
- Raised on life (game pass)
- Contempt (game pass)
- atomic heart (game pass)
- Gotham Knights
- The shot is reborn (game pass)
- Persona 5 Royal (game pass)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Repentance (game pass)
- Halo Infinite: Season 3 (game pass)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator: 40th Anniversary Edition (game pass)
- Hogwarts Legacy
- party animals (game pass)
- slime farmer 2 (game pass)
- The Callisto Protocol
- hello neighbor 2
- Light Year Frontier
And here is the list for 2023:
- Diablo IV
- red fall (game pass)
- star field (game pass)
- Forza Motorsport (game pass)
- Minecraft Legends (game pass)
- Macaw: Untold Story (game pass)
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (game pass)
- STALKER 2 (game pass)
- Flint (game pass)
- Chronicle of Eiyuden: One Hundred Heroes (game pass)
- League of Legends (game pass)
- League of Legends: Savage Rift (game pass)
- Valorant (game pass)
- Teamfight Tactics (game pass)
- Legends of Runeterra (game pass)
- Ark 2 (game pass)
- Resident Evil 4
- Persona 3 Portable (game pass)
- persona 4 golden (game pass)
- Replaced (game pass)
- Ereban: The Shadow Legacy (game pass)
- Ravenlock (game pass)
- dead space
- The Last Case of Benedict Fox (game pass)
- Cocoon (game pass)
We will be back in a year.