How to fix “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft (2022)
As you might already know, Minecraft Java Edition is the most powerful version of the game. You can customize, upgrade and modify it using the best Minecraft mods as you wish – offline and online. But that also makes it vulnerable to a variety of errors. One of the most common and dreaded series of errors is JNI errors. Luckily, it is very easy to fix this Java error affecting Minecraft in no time with a few simple fixes. So let’s see how to fix “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft.
Fix JNI error in Minecraft (2022)
We first explained why the JNI error occurs when setting up a Minecraft server or opening the Minecraft launcher on your PC. However, you can use the table below to skip straight to the solution and fix your game.
What causes the JNI error in Minecraft
Minecraft Java and all of its features depend on your computer’s Java libraries to function properly. So, if you are using a Minecraft server, mods or a feature that your system library does not support, the game may end up facing an error. Such errors fall into the class of JNI or Java-native interface Errors.
These errors usually occur when the Java files are too recent or the Java version on your device is outdated. Sometimes these errors also occur when the installation path of Java files is broken. In other words, you just need to make sure that your Your system’s Java file and Java libraries are up-to-date and compatible with the version of the Minecraft mod or the server you have installed. This will immediately fix the problem.
How to Fix JNI Error in Minecraft
There are four ways to remove JNI errors in Minecraft Java Edition. So let’s first explain what these methods are and then learn how to fix them:
- Compatible Libraries: If you know which version of Java is required by the file showing an error, you can simply install that particular version of the Java libraries on your device. Then the JNI error should resolve itself.
- Install the latest Java update: All new versions of Java come with backward compatibility. This means that a particular version of Java supports all files that require a previous version of Java. So you just need to install the latest version from Java to fix the JNI error without a second thought.
- Reset Java path: In some situations, your software or Java file may check for the wrong Java installation path. If this happens, the updated version of Java will not be detected, which will fail to load and cause “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft. So you can reset the java path in your system memory to point to the latest java installation.
- Update JDK in Terminal: Some Linux operating systems do not allow users to download Java updates through third-party downloaded files. Then you need to use the built-in terminal to run commands that can install and update Java.
Update and install the latest version of Java (Windows, Mac and Linux)
As you might have guessed, the second option for fixing JNI errors in Minecraft is the easiest and most reliable. You don’t need to do any manual search and just update your system’s Java version to fix the error. Here’s how:
1. First, go to Oracle official website and find your system’s operating system in the last section. We install Java for Windows, but you can follow the same steps for Linux and macOS.
2. Next, download the Java installer file by clicking on its download link. You may need to check the compatibility of the installer on a Linux-based operating system.
3. After the download is complete, open the installer file and follow the step-by-step installation instructions.
4. You can change the location of the folder where you install the new version of Java. But we suggest you don’t because many games and software look for Java in the default directory.
5. Once installation is complete, click “close” to exit the installer. Then you can run your Java files and features including Minecraft Java Edition without any JNI errors.
Reset Java Path to fix Minecraft JNI error (Windows only)
If installing the latest update does not fix JNI errors in Minecraft, your path variable for Java may be outdated or incorrect. In this case, follow these steps to reset the Java path variable:
1. First, use the Victory key + R Windows 11 keyboard shortcut to open the run dialog. Here, type “sysdm.cpl” and press the Walk in key. This will open your device’s system properties.
2. In the system properties window, navigate to the “Advanced tab and click on the “Environment Variables” button.
3. Next, look under the “System variables” section and select the “Path” variable. Then click on the “Edit” button.
4. Finally, use the “Wipe off” to remove corrupt Java variable paths and restart your pc. If you don’t know which variable to remove, you can remove them all and reinstall Java by following the steps in the previous section.
Install Java on Linux to fix Minecraft errors
To manually install Java on your Linux operating system, open the terminal app and use the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install openjdk-18-jdk
Don’t forget to use one order at a time for them to work properly. But be sure to replace the number “18” with the latest version of Java right now. You can do a quick search to find it.
Uninstall older versions of Java on your PC (optional)
You can run Minecraft or any other software without any JNI errors if you have the latest version of Java and they are unaffected by previous versions of Java installed on your system. But if you want, you can still uninstall them to save space and ensure Minecraft is using the latest install. Here’s how.
1. First, press the Windows key and search for Control Panel. Click to open the Control Panel from the search results.
2. Then go to the “Uninstall a programin the “Programs” section.
3. Here you can find all Java versions on your system. You can click on it to check their version number and double click to uninstall it.
Solve “A JNI error has occurred” in Minecraft
Thanks to new versions of the game, JNI errors are rare these days. But even if you somehow stumble upon it, you now have the power to fix JNI errors in Minecraft. And it will definitely help you to create your own Minecraft Java Server. Apart from this, you can also use the method to reduce errors when using the best Minecraft mods. That said, if you still have JNI or similar errors in Minecraft, please don’t hesitate to contact us. You can drop your questions in the comments section, and someone from our team will help you.