Fix MSI motherboard drivers not installing on Windows computer
A motherboard is the main printed circuit board of a computer that acts as a backbone. It contains many essential components of a computer like CPU, RAM, etc., and establishes a connection between them. A motherboard driver is software that establishes a connection between the motherboard and the operating system. Your computer may not function properly if the motherboard driver is incorrectly installed or fails. Some users complain that they are having issues with the MSI motherboard drivers. According to them, MSI motherboard drivers do not install on their systems. If you encounter such a problem, the solutions provided in this article may help you resolve it.
Fixed MSI motherboard drivers not installing
The following fixes may help you resolve the issue:
- Uninstall the existing driver.
- Try installing the MSI motherboard drivers from its official website.
- Install the driver from the chip vendor.
- Check for optional Windows driver updates.
Let’s talk about these fixes in detail.
1]Uninstall the existing driver
Before installing a driver, it is mandatory to uninstall its previous version. Open Device Manager and uninstall the motherboard driver currently installed on your system. In most cases, the motherboard driver is located under the System Devices node in Device Manager. Follow the steps below:
- Open the device manager.
- Expand the System Peripherals node.
- Right click on your motherboard driver, then select the Uninstall the device option.
- Select the Remove the driver software for this device checkbox (if available).
- Now click on the Uninstall button. Follow the instructions on the screen.
After uninstalling the driver, check if you can install the new motherboard driver.
2]Try to install MSI motherboard drivers from its official website
The drivers for the MSI motherboard are provided on a CD. Users should insert this CD into the CD drive to install all essential drivers on their systems. According to affected users, they are having problems with the MSI motherboard driver CD. To solve such problem, download MSI motherboard driver from its official website and manually install it on your system.
Follow the steps below:
- To download the MSI motherboard drivers, visit the official MSI website.
- Select your product category, type, and model number to search for your motherboard driver.
- Now click on the Drivers tab and select your operating system.
- Download the driver for your motherboard.
- The driver will be downloaded as a zip file. Right click on it and select Extract all to decompress the file.
- Open the extracted folder and double click the installer file and follow the onscreen instructions to install the MSI motherboard driver on your system. If a problem occurs, run the installation file as administrator by right-clicking on it.
Read: How to keep your motherboard clean and protected.
3]Install the driver from the chip vendor
You can also download the chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website. Visit the manufacturer’s website and find the chipset drivers by entering the required details. Apply filters to your search to get more relevant results. If the file is downloaded in zip format, extract it. Now open the extracted folder and run the installer or setup file to install the driver. Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation process.
After the installation process is complete, restart your computer.
Related: Where to download the drivers for Windows 11/10.
4]Check for optional Windows driver updates
Go to Settings and check if a pending update is available. If so, install it. Updating the Windows operating system to the latest version will also install all required drivers. Therefore, updating Windows may resolve the issue.
If you are a Windows 10 user, follow the steps below:
- Right click on the The Start menu and select Settings.
- Go to “Update and Security> Windows Update. “
- Click on Check for updates. If updates are already available, you will see an Updates available message.
- Click on To download to download available updates. After downloading the updates, restart your computer to install them.
Windows 11 users should follow the steps below:
- Go to “Settings> Windows Update. “
- Click on Check for updates.
- If any updates are available, you will see a message, Updates available for download. Now click on the Download now button.
- After the download is complete, restart your computer to install the downloaded updates.
You should also check for and install optional Windows driver updates.
Hope this helps you.
How do I install the MSI motherboard drivers?
In addition to installing the MSI motherboard drivers from a CD, there are four different ways to install the MSI motherboard drivers on your system. If you know your motherboard model number, you can download motherboard driver from MSI official website. Apart from that, there are plenty of third-party tools available that will help you install your motherboard driver.
How do I update the drivers for my MSI motherboard?
You can update the MSI motherboard driver from Device Manager. Apart from that, you can download the latest driver version from MSI official website and install it manually.
Read: Laptop motherboard repair: causes and signs of motherboard failure.