Fix Bad Image Error 0xc0000428 on Windows 11/10
Here is a complete guide on how you can solve the Bad image error 0xc0000428 under Windows 11/10. Bad image error code 0xc0000428 is basically triggered when starting an application or performing another task in Windows 11/10. Once triggered, you will see an error message similar to the one below:
Bad Image – The file is not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. Try to install the program again using the original installation media, or contact your system administrator or software vendor for assistance. Error status 0xc0000428.
To temporarily work around it, click the OK button in the error prompt. However, this will not resolve the error and you might get the error continuously. To resolve it, you need to try the appropriate fixes. In this article, we are going to discuss different solutions that will help you to fix bad image error code 0xc0000428.
What does Bad Image Error mean?
A bad image error is basically triggered when Windows is unable to open or run a program. This happens if the files and libraries needed to run the program are corrupted or damaged.
What are the causes of bad image error 0xc0000428 on Windows 0?
Here are some of the possible causes that can lead to error code 0xc0000428 on Windows 11/10:
- Most of the time, these errors are the result of faulty or corrupted system files. In this case, you should be able to fix it by performing an SFC scan.
- Another reason for this error may be the missing Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio. if the scenario applies, download the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package.
- It could also be due to a problem or buggy third-party apps. You can try to perform a clean boot to counter the problem in this case.
How Can I Get Rid of Bad Image Errors?
To get rid of a bad image error, try reinstalling the program that is causing the problem. Apart from that, you can try uninstalling installed Windows updates, running an SFC scan, running Windows automatic repair, or performing a system restore.
Fix Bad Image Error 0xc0000428 on Windows 11/10
Here are the methods to fix bad image error 0xc0000428 on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Reinstall the program
- Run the System File Checker scan.
- Upgrade the Visual C ++ Redistributable to Visual Studio.
- Uninstall the latest Windows updates.
- Troubleshooting in a clean boot state.
- Perform a system restore.
Now let’s discuss the above solutions in detail.
1]Reinstall the program
Note the program that generates this error and reinstall its latest version and see if that helps.
2]Run the System File Checker scan
The first thing to do when you encounter this error code is to run an SFC scan. System File Checker or SFC is a command line tool built into Windows that basically scans system files for corruption and fixes corrupted system files. This error is most likely due to corrupt or damaged system files. Therefore, running an SFC scan should correct it if the scenario is applicable.
Here are the steps to run an SFC scan on your system:
- First, open the command prompt as administrator.
- Now type the below SFC scan command in CMD:
- After that press Enter button to run the command.
- When the command is fully executed and finished, restart your PC.
- Finally, try launching the app which previously gave you the bad image error 0xc0000428 and see if it is fixed now.
If this fixes the error for you, congratulations! If not, no worries. You can try the next potential fix to resolve the error code.
See: Fix: incorrect image of Chrome.exe, error state 0xc000012f.
3]Upgrade the Visual C ++ Redistributable to Visual Studio
This error can also be triggered if your system does not have the latest Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio. If the scenario applies, you should be able to correct it by downloading and installing the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio.
To do this, visit the official Microsoft website and download the most recent version of Visual Studio. Make sure you download the version that matches your system architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). After that, install Visual Studio by running the installer and following the onscreen instructions. Once the installation is complete, restart your PC and check if the affected bad image error is gone now.
If this method does not resolve your issue, try the next potential method to correct the error.
Read: Fixed incorrect image error 0xc000012f.
4]Uninstall the latest Windows updates
The problem could also be caused by a recent Windows update. If the update was not installed correctly or has been corrupted, this may be a reason for the affected error. If you have installed recent Windows updates, you should try uninstalling them to resolve the issue.
To uninstall Windows updates, here are the steps to follow:
- First, open the Settings app using the Windows + I keyboard shortcut.
- Then go to the Windows Update section.
- Then click on Update History option in the right panel.
- On the Update History page, scroll down to Uninstall updates under Related settings and click it.
- After that, on the Installed Updates Control Panel applet, right-click on a recently installed update and then select the Uninstall.
- After uninstalling recent Windows updates is complete, restart your PC and then check if the error is now fixed.
If the error is now fixed, you can be sure that the faulty Windows update installation was causing the error. You can re-install any available updates by going to Settings> Windows Update and clicking the Check for updates button. Later download and install Windows updates, but make sure that you are connected to a broadband network and that the installation process is not interrupted.
Similar article: Bad Image, Error Status 0xc0000020 for Outlook.
5]Troubleshooting in a clean boot state
If the bad image error code 0xc0000428 persists, you can try to resolve the issue in a clean boot state. This error can also occur due to problematic third-party applications running on your PC. In a clean boot state, your system boots with a minimal set of services and drivers that are essential to running Windows. So, try restarting Windows in a clean boot state and see if the problem is resolved or not.
Related: The digital signature of this file could not be verified, error 0xc0000428.
6]Perform a system restore
When all solutions fall, the last resort to fix the problem is to perform a System Restore. A system restore point is used to restore your PC to a previous healthy state. If you remember the last time you didn’t receive this bad picture error code when launching an app, you can easily perform a System Restore to bring your PC back to that point and fix it. ‘fault.
Here are the steps to perform a system restore:
- Find System Restore in taskbar search and click on Create System Restore option from results.
- Click System Restore in the System Properties area.
- In the System Restore window, tap Next and then select a restore point to which you want to restore your PC.
- Check the details and confirm them, then tap Finish.
- Restart your PC and hopefully you can run an application without the bad image error code 0xc0000428.
That’s it! Hope this helps you!
NOTwell, read: Fix bad Bdeunlock.exe image, system error, or no response errors.