Best Free AI to PDF Converter Software for Windows 11/10
Files with the AI extension represent vector images created in Adobe Illustrator software. Graphic designers use Adobe Illustrator to create different types of images like banners, logos, posters, etc. with the AI file extension. To open files with the AI extension, you need a dedicated program. A normal user does not have a dedicated program to open AI files. Therefore, if you want to share your project with normal users, for example your clients, you need to convert the AI files to another format that your clients can easily open and view on their systems. One of these formats is PDF. If you want convert AI file to PDF file, this article will benefit you. In this article, we will see some of the best free AI to PDF converter software.
Best Free AI to PDF Converter Software for Windows PC
The following software will allow you to convert AI file to PDF file on Windows 11/10.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
- Sumatra PDF Reader
- Pixillion Image Conversion Software
Let’s see how to use these freeware and what features they offer.
Convert AI file to PDF file
GIMP is free image editing software for Windows 11/10 devices. It supports many image formats including Alias Pix image, DDS image, DICOM image, HEIC image, AI image, etc. You can use GIMP to save an AI image as a PDF file. You can also edit an AI image before converting it to PDF. All image editing tools are available in the menu bar of the software, including color tools, paint tools, color picker, etc. Besides that, you can also apply filters to your AI image file before converting it to PDF.
How to Convert AI File to PDF Using GIMP
The steps to convert an AI file to a PDF file are as follows:
- Go to “File > Open” to open the AI file in GIMP. Alternatively, you can use shortcut keys CTRL+O.
- Edit the AI file if you want to make changes to it.
- Go to “File > Export.”
- Click on the Select file type (by extension) option. You will find it at the bottom left. After that, GIMP will show you all supported file extensions.
- Now scroll down the list of file extensions and select Portable Document Format.
- Click on Export and select the file location to save it in PDF format.
Besides the Export option, you can also use the Print option in GIMP to save the AI file as a PDF.
Inkscape is another free image editing software that lets you convert AI files to PDF files. Like GIMP, it also offers image editing tools. Using these tools, you can edit an AI file before converting it to PDF. If we talk about image formats, Inkscape supports a number of image formats including vector, bitmap, SVG, PDF, AI, GIMP Gradient, COREL DRAW, etc. You will find the different types of filters and image editing tools on the menu bar of the software.
How to Use Inkscape to Convert AI to PDF
To convert an AI file to PDF using Inkscape, follow the instructions written below.
- Open the AI file in Inkscape by pressing the CTRL+O keys.
- If you want to modify the AI file, you can do so using the tools provided in the software. After editing the AI image, go to “File > Save As” and select the Portable Document Format file extensions option.
- Select a location on your computer to save the converted file.
- Name your file and click Save.
A print option is also available in the software. You can also use it to save your AI files as PDF files.
You can download Inkscape from its official website inkscape.org.
3]Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a popular PDF reader software. Most of us use this freeware to open and view PDF files. You probably don’t know that Adobe Acrobat Reader DC also supports AI file extensions. To open an AI file in Adobe PDF Reader, navigate to “File > Open” or simply press the CTRL+O keys. After that, click on the drop-down menu and select All the files. Now select your system AI files and click To open.
How to convert AI file to PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
The following instructions will help you convert AI to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Open the Adobe PDF Reader software.
- Open the AI file following the instructions explained above.
- Go to “File > Save As” and select a location to save the PDF file.
You can also save the AI file as a PDF using the To print option in the software.
To download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, you need to visit its official site.
4]Sumatra PDF Reader
Sumatra PDF Reader is another free PDF viewer that supports multiple file formats including PDF, XPS, DjVu, EPUB, etc. It is a simple PDF viewer software that does not have advanced features. By using it, you can only perform basic tasks with your files like change view mode, rotate left and right, zoom in and zoom out, etc.
Steps to Convert AI to PDF Using Sumatra PDF Reader
Using Sumatra PDF Reader you can easily convert files with AI extension to PDF files. The steps are as follows:
- Open the Sumatra PDF Reader software.
- Hurry CTRL+O keys. By default, it does not show AI files in File Explorer.
- To open an AI file, select All the files in the drop-down menu. Now select an AI file and click To open.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top left and go to “File > Save As” and select PDF documents in the drop-down menu.
- Name your PDF file and click Save.
Sumatra PDF Reader is available on its official site To download.
Lily: How to edit PSD files without using Photoshop using free online tools.
5]Pixillion Image Conversion Software
Pixillion image converter software is free for personal use. By using this freeware, you can perform batch conversion of image files from one format to another format. After launching the software, you will see two options, Add files and Add Folder. If you have kept all your AI files in one folder, you can add them all in one click by selecting the Add Folder option.
Apart from converting image files from one format to another, you can edit them like resize, crop, flip, rotate, etc. You can also add image and text watermarks to your images.
Steps to Convert AI to PDF Using Pixillion Image Converter Software
Follow the instructions below to convert AI to PDF.
- Open the Pixillion image conversion software.
- Click on the Residence tongue.
- Click on Add files) or Add Folder option under the Home tab.
- If you are doing our batch conversion, click the Select all option.
- The default output folder is C drive. To change the output folder location, click Select output folder.
- Select PDF as the output format by clicking the drop-down menu.
- Now click on the Convert button.
You can download Pixillion image conversion software from NCH website, nchsoftware.com.
POINT: Take a look at these free software downloads for Windows PC. There are over 200 categories listed!
How to convert an AI file to PDF?
There are many online converter tools that allow you to convert AI file to different formats, including PG, JPG, BMP, GIF, PDF, etc. By using these free online tools, you can convert AI files to PDF with just one click. Apart from that, you can also use free AI to PDF converter software. We have mentioned some free software to convert AI files to PDF files in this article.
Does Microsoft offer a free PDF converter?
The Microsoft Store has many free and paid apps in different categories. If you are looking for a free PDF converter, you can search for it in the Microsoft Store and install it as needed.
Read more: Best Free Image Splitter Software for Windows 11/10.